Senate Committee on Redistricting slates public hearings
Published: February 16th, 2011
Legislative Staff Release
Six public hearings have been scheduled by the Senate Committee on Redistricting—the panel tasked with redrawing district boundaries utilizing the latest U.S. Census data. Senators Clark Jolley and Bryce Marlatt are co-chairs of the committee, and said the public hearings would give Oklahomans from every part of the state the opportunity to attend one of the hearings.
“The work of this committee will impact the citizens of our state for the next ten years,” said Jolley, an Edmond Republican. “We want the public to have confidence in this process by making it open, transparent, and ensuring the opportunity for public input.”
The first hearing will be held this Thursday, February 17, in the State Senate Chamber at 12:30 p.m. Additional public hearings will be held in Tulsa, Poteau, Ardmore, Woodward and Altus over the next several days.
“The purpose of redistricting is to make sure each of our districts includes approximately the same number of citizens—how those district lines are redrawn is directly impacted by population changes that have taken place since the 2000 U.S. Census,” said Marlatt, R-Woodward. “We welcome and encourage public involvement in this process.”
The schedule for public hearings by the Senate Committee on Redistricting is as follows:
· Thursday, February 17, 12 p.m. in Oklahoma City at the State Capitol, Senate Chamber.
· Thursday, February 17, 3:30 p.m. in Tulsa at the Greenwood Cultural Center Gallery at 322 North Greenwood Avenue.
· Friday, February 18, 12:00 p.m. in Poteau at the Buckley Library Auditorium at 408 Dewey Avenue.
· Thursday, February 24, 3:00 p.m. in Ardmore at the Southern Oklahoma Technology Center, Seminar B, 2610 Sam Noble Parkway.
· Friday, February 25, 10:00 a.m. in Woodward at the High Plains Career Tech, 3921 34th Street, Room 201 A/B, Main Building, General Management Room.
· Friday, February 25, 2:00 p.m. in Altus at Western Oklahoma State College, 2801 N. Main Street, H. Wing, Room 9.
In addition to Co-chairs Jolley and Marlatt, the Senate Redistricting Committee includes members:
Sen. Jonathan Nichols, R-Norman, Judicial Vice Chair; Sen. Don Barrington, R-Lawton, Western and Southern Oklahoma Vice Chair; Sen. Dan Newberry, R-Tulsa, Northeast Oklahoma Vice Chair; Sen. Mark Allen, R-Spiro, Eastern and Southeast Oklahoma Vice Chair; Sen. David Holt, R-Oklahoma City, Central Oklahoma Vice Chair; Sen. Eddie Fields, R-Wynona, Congressional Chair; Sen. Kim David, R-Wagoner, Congressional Vice Chair; Sen. Andrew Rice, D-Oklahoma City, Co-Vice Chair; Sen. Sean Burrage, D-Claremore, Co-Vice Chair; Sen. Judy Eason McIntyre, D-Tulsa; and Sen. John Sparks, D-Norman.
In addition, Sen. President Pro Tempore Brian Bingman, R-Sapulpa, and Sen. Majority Leader Mike Schulz, R-Altus, serve as Ex-Officio Members of the committee.