Governor-elect Fallin releases inaugural schedule, including food drive
CapitolBeatOK Staff Report
This week, Governor-elect Mary Fallin released a calendar of inaugural events, which will include a statewide food drive, a prayer service, three inaugural balls, a “Fun for Families” event, and a reception in the Capitol Rotunda following the Inaugural Ceremonies.
Fallin made the announcement at the Regional Food Bank in Oklahoma City, asking Oklahomans to donate non-perishable food items to the “Feeding Oklahoma” food drive planned by her inaugural committee. The food drive began yesterday (Wednesday, December 1).
“Oklahomans are the most giving, caring people in the country,” said Fallin. “I’m calling on that generous spirit this holiday season to help us provide food to those Oklahomans in need.”
The “Feeding Oklahoma” drive was launched in partnership with the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma and the Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma. It will include regional food drives lead by county chairs in each of Oklahoma’s 77 counties. Food donation drop-off spots will also be located at all BancFirst locations statewide and all Oklahoma City Metro Area Love’s Travel Stops & Country Stores. UPS will facilitate the transportation of donated food items.
There will also be an opportunity to make monetary donations online to the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma at www.feedoklahoma.org, or by texting “OK” to 27722 (each text will be an automatic donation of $10 – standard text message rates apply). Chesapeake Energy will match every monetary donation through the holiday season up to $100,000. With the addition of those matching funds, every $1 donated now purchases 14 meals.
Additional details about the food drive and the inaugural ceremonies are available at a new website, maryfallininaugural.org.
A schedule of inaugural events (also available online) is included below. Some details, including start times and ticketing information, are unavailable at this time. Additional information will be posted at www.maryfallininaugural.org in the future.
December 1 – December 31
· “Feeding Oklahoma” Food Drive chaired by Laure Majors, in partnership with the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma and the Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma, BancFirst, Love’s Travel Stops & Country Stores and Chesapeake Energy.
January 7, 2011
· Pre-Inaugural Ball held at the Marland Mansion in Ponca City (chaired by Carolyn and Carl Renfro).
January 8, 2011
· Pre-Inaugural “Fun for Families” event at Science Museum Oklahoma in Oklahoma City (chaired by Kathey Sandler and Judy Lehmbeck).
· Pre-Inaugural ball held at the Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks (chaired by Kell Kelly, Tammy Hern and Kevin Hern).
January 9, 2011
· Prayer service at Crossings Community Church in Oklahoma City (chaired by Pam Kanaly and Shelley Pulliam). The Praise and Worship service will feature contemporary Christian singer and songwriter, Dennis Jernigan.
January 10, 2011
· The Inaugural Ceremonies will be held on the south steps of the State Capitol at noon (chaired by Steve Mason and James Pickel). Individuals wishing to attend should plan to arrive at least an hour early. This event is free and open to the public.
· Post-Inaugural reception immediately following the swearing-in ceremony (chaired by Tina Majors and Margaret Ann Morris).
· Inaugural Dinner and Ball held at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City (chaired by Judy Love and Lee Allan Smith).